There was this book I read years ago when I was still a pimple-face medstudent, called HOUSE OF GOD (by Dr Samuel Shem M.D)- GOMERS** DON’T DIE (young patients do instead).
- GOMERS GO TO GROUND.
- THE PATIENT IS THE ONE WITH THE DISEASE.
- AT A CARDIAC ARREST, THE FIRST PROCEDURE IS TO TAKE YOUR OWN PULSE.
- THERE IS NO BODY CAVITY THAT CANNOT BE REACHED WITH A 14 GAUGE NEEDLE AND A GOOD STRONG ARM.
- THEY CAN ALWAYS HURT YOU MORE.
- IF YOU DON’T TAKE A TEMPERATURE, YOU CAN’T FIND A FEVER.
- SHOW ME A MEDICAL RESIDENT WHO ONLY TRIPLES MY WORK AND I WILL KISS HIS FEET.
- IF THE RADIOLOGY RESIDENT AND THE MEDICAL STUDENT BOTH SEE A LESION ON THE CHEST X-RAY, THERE CAN BE NO LESION THERE.
- THE DELIVERY OF GOOD MEDICAL CARE IS TO DO AS MUCH NOTHING AS POSSIBLE.
Plus some of its infamous acronyms....!
**GOMERS (Get Out of My Emergency Room): Applied to patients who are frequently admitted with complicated but uninspiring and incurable conditions.
LOL in NAD (Little Old Lady in No Apparent Distress): An elderly patient who admitted following a minor fall or illness, would be better served by staying at home with good social support, rather than being admitted into a hospital with all the iatrogenic risks of modern medicine. Another way of saying a 'NAD' (No Abnormality Detected) used to record normal physical findings.
VSD (Venticular Septal Defect -- a hole in the heart): or a Very Short Dick! - Nah I made this one up!!! :>
-- --- ---- Well folks! Grab it at your nearest friendly book store - the author promised me 0.005% (statistically significant) profit for every unit sold.. Noootttt! ----- -----
Arrkkhh! I'm on call again tomorrow and Yippiee! Will be leaving the next day for F1 medical cover stint -- Hmmm will be back on the 9th "sigh" until then, safe driving everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment