01 June 2007

Silent departure



30.5.2007 Wednesday 9 am


To my surprise, my last day and on call in the ICU was uneventful. It was a good 4 hour-sleep. All patients were as stable as a sunday morning shift in Kuala Kerteh outpatient clinic. I was both delighted and sad.


I was lucky to have the opportunity to work there and to be among the few good doctors/teachers whom had taught me the importance of work ethics.


For example it was the only time in my life have I came across a consultant AKA the Head of Department who came as early as 7.15am sharp every morning beating everyone else when it comes to attendance and ward round. And this is a government hospital we're talking about here.


As the old tradition goes, it is usually the Houseman who do the 1st morning round, followed later by medical officers, specialists and then consultants.


As I close the main door behind me, a quick final glance of the place reminds me the faces of those people I had helped and also those who I could not.

"The unbroken morning! The sweet surrender of the past shall cast away the pitiful soul of regrets and
bring tears to the devil himself" - drfrapp

Goodbye my friends!



No comments: