18 January 2008

dammit... stay with me

"So how are you today auntie?" I smiled at her.

"Okay, feeling much better, thank you for everything" She looked much better than before.

This makcik Odah (not her real name of coz but it sounds like a good 60's name) from Rembau, N9, was admitted for mild acidosis due to pneumonia. She's recovering well and was planned for home discharge soon.

As I was reviewing the next patient, I heard the nurse's voices....

"makcik... makcik bangun makcik...!!"

I turned and look at Makcik Odah. Her face was pale and and was staring at ceiling unresponsive - a face which I personally called - deathface.

AIYAAAA!!! GET THE CRASH CART NOWWW!


Her breath was shallow with a thready pulse. I haven't done resus for quite some time since I honourably discharged from anaesthesia - so my mind was a bit slow. Anyhow I quickly push a Guidel's airway into her mouth and bagged her while the houseofficer jumped on the bed following my instruction on a proper cardiac compression.

The cardiac monitor showed runs of VT (a bizzare looking heart rhythm).

Adrenaline & atropine went it. In the background her daughter was crying and blaming the nurse for giving her a drug which might gave her a drug reaction.

True enough, the nurse gave her an IV drug right before she collapsed.

However there's no obvious rash on her, and the lungs were clear. I proceeded with intubation, and the larynx and vocal cord was not inflammed or oedematous. All the signs that pointed out towards no allergic reaction.

We got a sinus rhythm in 3 minutes with good blood pressure.

I called up the ICU for ventilation backup and explained to the family that it wasn't the drug/antibiotic that caused it, she had a sudden coronary event which caused her to collapse.

That was about 3 weeks ago and by the time I'm writing this - she's already backed in Rembau chilling out with her grandkids.

Thank God that she make it through that ordeal coz the circumstances surrounding it is your homecook recipe for disaster. Let's face it if you don't know what you are doing you gonna end up making a terrible chicken curry.



When everything else fails, always have a solid documentation if in any case you have to make a stand in a courtroom.

*****

Speaking of courtroom, the current Linggam fiasco is a big joke on our country's judiaciary system.

WEAK LEADER. POLITICAL CORRUPTION. NURIN. HINDRAF, SYALINIE.

Whatever happen to Malaysia that we all knew when we're growing up.

No comments: